E-5: Curriculum Development
Adoption Date: 05/18/92 | Revision Date: 06/29/98 | Revision Date: 04/28/08
Pursuant to rules of the Illinois Public Community College Act and consistent with the requirements of the Illinois Community College Board, Illinois Board of Higher Education, and external agencies, the Board of Trustees shall, upon recommendation of the College President, determine the courses and programs of instruction needed to meet the educational needs and interests of the district. The Board shall determine the effectiveness and productivity of the programs and services in responding to and meeting these needs and interests.
Prior to their being made available to the citizens of the district of Prairie State College, the following shall be approved by the Board of Trustees:
- All credit courses (course prefix, number, title, credit hours, and, where applicable, course fee)
- All associate degree programs (curriculum prefix, number, title, required courses and minimum credit hours)
- All technical certificate programs (curriculum prefix, number, title, required courses and minimum credit hours)
- All withdrawals or inactivations of degree or technical certificate programs
- All changes to graduation requirements
Board approval of all curricular additions and modifications shall be based upon the results of appropriate needs analyses, consistency of the offerings with the Mission of the College, and the recommendation of the President.
The faculty and administration staff shall be expected to develop and revise curricula, courses, and programs in response to the educational needs and interests of the students and the community.
The chief academic officer of the College shall be expected to provide leadership and guidelines in the area of curriculum development and to ensure the full and proper maintenance of curricular records.