G-35: Grievances/Complaints by College Empolyees
Adoption Date: 03/16/92 | Revision Date: 02/16/02 | Revision Date: 08/29/06 | Revision Date: 08/26/08
Prairie State College shall provide an avenue through which its employees may request a review and consideration of an alleged, unjust, or improper practice or of harassment on the part of the College, a member of the Board of Trustees, other employees, or students.
Employees covered by a bargaining agent shall be subject to specific provisions for grievances/complaints as applicable within the agreement.
Efforts to resolve such grievances/complaints shall be made in a timely manner and in accordance with the following principles and general sequence as both may augment specific provisions applicable within appropriate bargaining agreements:
- Every attempt is to be made to resolve the matter at the point of origin.
- If resolution is not forthcoming at the point of origin, the matter is to be appealed to the supervisor/coordinator of the area concerned.
- If the matter is yet unresolved, a written appeal (outlining the nature of the situation, steps taken to resolve it, and the outcome of these efforts) is to be submitted to the director or dean responsible for the area concerned.
- If the situation is yet unresolved, the employee may submit a written appeal and related correspondence/records to the executive officer responsible for the area concerned.
- Following receipt of a written response from the appropriate executive officer, and if still dissatisfied, the employee may submit a written appeal and related correspondence/records to the College President for consideration.
- As a final College recourse, the employee may appeal the decision of the President by submitting the matter in writing to the Board of Trustees.
The Office of Human Resources & Employee Relations and the affirmative action designee shall serve to assist employees (as necessary) in implementing or utilizing this policy. Confidentiality shall be maintained.
This policy shall be disseminated through appropriate College publications.