Grant Management and Monitoring
- Setting up the Budget
- Hiring Project Personnel
- Programmatic Reporting
- Fiscal Reporting and Recording
- Effort Documentation
- The GA will create an allocated budget based on the parameters of the grant. From this, general ledger budget codes (gl codes) will be assigned.
- Budget Transfer Form is used for a new budget set-up.
- The grant allocations and final project costs cannot deviate from the budget or the project as it was proposed. Funder permission might be required for certain budget reallocations or modifications based on the grant agreement requirements. Contact the funder for approval when necessary. Submit the proof of approval to the MGS and GA. Email approvals are accepted, however some funders may have a designated form. Once the funder approves changes, the PM needs to complete internal documents (budget transfer/correction or general ledger transfer/correction forms) that will align the college’s records.
- When budget modifications are necessary, please use the Budget Transfer Form. The form must be signed by the Program Director or Coordinator and the Vice President of the respective area. The GA reviews and initials the form, and it is then forwarded to the Budget Analyst for processing.
- The person responsible for the grant project also is responsible for careful administering and monitoring of the grant’s total allocated budget.
- Prohibited expenditures for government grants include entertainment, alcohol, food and social activities not related to the project.
- Indirect costs are to cover expenses incurred by the institution. These costs include general administration, space used for grant activity, building maintenance, etc. These expenses cannot be used for the specific grant activity and are allocated by the GA, in accordance with the grant agreement guidelines, negotiated by the college rate (if applicable), and based on the developed by the college procedures for their allocation.
- Hiring Manager completes the Position Request Form (available only through the HR Office), develops a job description/job posting, and submits it to the Assistant Director, Human Resources
- Assistant Director, Human Resources submits Position Request to Cabinet for approval via the weekly Staffing Report
- Upon approval of the Position Request, the Assistant Director, Human Resources will post the position
- Assistant Director, Human Resources will post position internally for 5 working days
- Hiring Manager selects a search committee
- Assistant Director, Human Resources will send the Guest User link to the search committee to access applications and schedules the selected candidates for 1st round of interviews
- Search committee interviews internal applicants
- If an internal candidate is not selected, Assistant Director, Human Resources will post the position externally
- Search Committee conducts 1st round interviews and recommends at least 3 candidates for a 2nd interview with Hiring Manager
- Hiring Manager or Assistant Director, Human Resources contacts and schedules the candidates for the 2nd round of interviews (depends on hiring manager)
- Hiring Manager contacts Professional References and selects a candidate
- Hiring Manager notifies Assistant Director, Human Resources of hiring decision
- HR will complete background check
- Upon approval offer is extended by Human Resources
- All grant funded employees are hired subject to continued funding through the grant; no employment is guaranteed beyond the end of the grant
- HR will determine the candidate’s start date
- The Assistant Director, Human Resources will notify all candidates who interviewed but where not selected once a final offer is approved and accepted
- Programmatic reporting to the grant funding agency is responsibility of the Grant Director/Coordinator or PM. A copy of the submitted to the funder report must be forwarded to the GA.
- Adhere to reporting dates and plan to submit reports before the deadline. The GA will work with you on this. The GA handles the fiscal activity and audit aspects for the grant.
- The Grant Coordinator or PM also needs to be sure documents and databases are maintained to measure and meet the grant’s proposed outcomes.
- The PM will receive each month an expenditure report that outlines expenditure activity
to-date and outstanding encumbrances. This report is helpful to make sure the expenditures
align with the allocated budget. The PM should review the expenditure reports line
by line to make sure the activity on the report coincides with their records. The
PM and the GA will work together to resolve any discrepancies. If there are no discrepancies,
the report needs to be signed and returned to the GA.
- The PM will receive each month an expenditure report that outlines expenditure activity to-date and outstanding encumbrances. This report is helpful to make sure the expenditures align with the allocated budget. The PM should review the expenditure reports line by line to make sure the activity on the report coincides with their records. The PM and the GA will work together to resolve any discrepancies. If there are no discrepancies, the report needs to be signed and returned to the GA.
- All purchases should be made following PSC guidelines. See the GA or MGS to review them. The GA will double check that purchased items are coded to the appropriate GL budget code.
- All Journal Entries, Budget Transfer, or Check Requests with the Travel Reimbursement Forms for the grants (with the appropriate signatures on them) should first go to GA for review and approval before processing. GA can assist in filling out the above mentioned forms and consult on allowability of the expenditure.
- Controller/Director of Business Services and GA serve as a liaison between the external auditors and PM or Coordinator.
- If the grant is a federal grant, all employees paid under the grant must provide Time and Effort reports and submit them to the GA when it’s time to submit reports to the grantor.
- Time and Effort reports must be reconciled with the actual payroll account for the employee reflected on the form (please work with GA on its reconciliation).