Why Engage in Strategic Planning?
We need to keep pace with a rapidly changing society and educational landscape. As budgets continue to constrict, we must establish priorities that drive the allocation of resources. An institution with a plan of action is more likely to achieve success than an institution without one. It is an expected business practice for educational institutions.
Benefits of Strategic Planning
- provides clear priorities and direction for the institution
- allows us to proactively confront the factors impacting the future of PSC
- offers a framework for looking at internal and external forces and evaluating institutional strengths and challenges in order to plan future actions to enable us to achieve our mission
- supports informed decision-making
- promotes organizational effectiveness
- assures that we are responding to stakeholder expectations and external mandates
The Strategic Planning Process
To develop PSC's 2013-17 Strategic Plan, a comprehensive process was undertaken to gain broad input from internal and external stakeholders.
During phase I of the planning process, information and data were collected. The results of the 2012 Entering Student Survey were used to provide the student perspective. Through additional surveys, the College also reached out to its faculty and staff, advisory board members, foundation directors, and local businesses and industry. Information on external mandates and environmental factors were also compiled.
In phase II, the Strategic Planning Team took part in four half-day workshops. All divisions and employee groups were represented. Participants reviewed information and engaged in discussions to identify the College’s strategic priorities.
In phase III, the Planning and Quality Improvement (PQI) Committee reviewed the ideas that had been generated at the workshops and came up with three main goals and 23 strategies to accomplish those goals. The 2013-17 Strategic Plan was launched in August, 2013.
The fourth phase is implementation. The PQI Committee will monitor the College’s progress in accomplishing these goals and support continuous improvement efforts.