Prairie State College (PSC) encourages applications from international students. All applications must be completed at least four months prior to the proposed admissions date and you must report to PSC at least seven days prior to the start of classes. International students must have successfully completed equivalent of 12 years of schooling. By immigration law, foreign students must attend classes on a full-time basis. A minimum of 12 semester credit hours in the fall and spring semesters is required. All foreign students, except those from countries whose national language is English, must take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam.
As PSC is a commuter community college, there is no on-campus housing. Students may choose to live in an apartment or with a host family. More information on housing opportunities is included with application materials.
If you have a local sponsor, you must indicate who is the sponsor. The local sponsor must be an American citizen or a permanent resident who will be financially responsible for you while you attend PSC.
For current tuition rates, consult our current schedule of tuition and fees.
For more information regarding the PSC International Students Program, call Enrollment Advisor, Goli Rahmani at (708) 709-7809 or Shelley Tekeste at (708) 709-3641. You may fax our office at (708) 709-3915 or reach the International Studies Office via e-mail at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any International Student who is applying to Prairie State College must submit the following:
- Evidence of Financial Support in English language, official, original bank statement on a bank letterhead and seal in the minimum amount of $25,000.00 (or $15,000 if a sponsor will provide free room and board). This document must be completed no earlier than 4 months prior to applying.
- Proof of English Proficiency through TOEFL (www.toefl.org). Prairie State College requires an official minimum score of 500 on the paper-based, 173 on the computer–based, and 61 on the internet-based TOEFL exam. Prairie State College only accepts the original TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score.
- Official translated Transcripts for all previous schoolwork successfully completed. These translated transcripts may be complete by ECE-Educational Credential Evaluation (www.ece.org).
- A copy of photograph page of passport ( must be valid for at least 6 months)
- Affidavit of Support if it applies. The affidavit of support form is available in the request for I-20 packet as well as www.uscis.org website.
For more information please review the following links:
What If I Never Attend?
Course attendance is important to academic success. You must attend the courses you register for at Prairie State College. If you register for a course and never attend, you run the risk of being dropped from the course(s). If you will be unable to attend any courses in which you enrolled, you must drop them. Refer to the academic calendar and the college refund table for applicable dates. Use the A-Z index where information is arranged alphabetically.