Associate in Applied Science Degree
Dental Hygiene prepares the student with specialized skills necessary for employment as a dental hygienist. Emphasis is on prophylaxis (removal of calculus stain and deposits from the teeth), prevention of oral disease and on the hygienist's ability as a dental health educator. The hygienist's services are sought by dentists, schools, prisons, hospitals, departments of health and industry. The Dental Hygiene program is fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation.
Requirements for Admission and Retention in the Dental Hygiene Program:
- Have satisfactorily graduated from a recognized high school with a grade average of "C" or better, or have a GED.
- Have completed college application and have school and college transcripts sent to Prairie State College Office of Admissions & Enrollment Services (202 S. Halsted Street, Chicago Heights, IL 60411).
- Have completed entrance exams, such as COMPASS testing.
- Completed applications will be evaluated by the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee. Notification of acceptance will be provided to those individuals meeting the entrance criteria on a space available basis. Acceptance to the College does not ensure acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program.
- After exceptance, a comprehensive physical (PDF*) and dental (PDF*) examination are required.
- Hepatitis B immunizations are required for all entering students.
- The Dental Hygiene Program follows the guidelines set forth by the Center for Disease Control (CDC). For more information regarding infection control and bloodborne pathodens please visit http://www.cdc.gov/OralHealth/infectioncontrol
- Once admitted to the program, the student must achieve grades of "C" of better in all courses to remain enrolled.
For an information packet which includes Program Goals, Application Requirements, Essential Functions, Student Ranking, How to Apply, Curriculum by semester and Intent Form call (708) 709-3515 or print the Adobe files provided below.