Non-Credit News and Events
Leadership Development Courses
The Civic Leadership Academy (CLA) is offered by the Center for Governmental Studies at Northern Illinois University as a leadership skills development program for leaders and managers in government and nonprofit agencies. Participants may take individual workshops or complete a series of courses towards the goal of earning a general Certificate of Achievement or specialized Certificate of Achievement. For more information visit cgs.niu.edu/CLA.
"Leadership for Elected Officials"
Thursday, September 11, 2014 — 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Prairie State College, Conference Center, Room 1318
Registration Fee: $90
Public administration involves the application of many different legal principles. From the Freedom of Information Act, to the Open Meetings Act, to the roles and responsibilities of elected officials and staff, to mandates from the State and Federal governments, there are a multitude of considerations to be made when approaching your role in local government.
- Learn which laws have a major impact on the administration of local government operations
- Discern the differing roles and responsibilities of elected officials and staff
- Julie DeLong
- Manager, Conference and Community Services
- (708) 709-7919
SHRMS' Essentials of HR Management Course
SHRMS' Essentials of HR Management course is part of an award winning program and recognized as one of the nation's "Top 20" programs for the past five years. Prairie State College will be hosting the course approved by the Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) and a licensed provider for SHRM since 1995, Northern Illinois University's Department of Continuing Professional Education.
SHRM's Essentials of HR Management two day course is scheduled for fall 2014:
SHRM's Essentials HR Management
Wednesday and Thursday, September 17 & 18, 2014
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Prairie State College Conference Center
Registration Fee: Standard $650 and SRHM members $600
The Essentials course is ideal for entry-level HR professionals, small business owners, managers,
supervisors with responsibilities for managing people, Job seekers wanting to transition into a career in HR and HR professionals seeking to update current HR knowledge.
- Employment Law
- Selecting qualified employees
- Orientation and training of employees
- Performance Management
- Compensation Basics
- Understanding issues, laws, and procedures related to the employment process will help reduce risks of legal action to your organization.
- A perfect course for managers who need to know basic HR concepts BEFORE disciplinary action is required and HR has to get involved as well as those who want an overview of areas outside their current specialty or are newcomers to the HR profession.
- Participants receive 1.2 CEUs of continuing education credit.
- The action oriented curriculum is designed to provide opportunities for networking, sharing "real-world" experiences, and applying what is learned in the workplace.
Use Promo Code: PSC914 and Register Online at http://cgs.niu.edu/CLA/
Recent events have brought mental illness to the forefront. It is a disease impacting 1 in 5 Americans. But it is often a misunderstood disease. Attend this conference to find out more about mental illness, hear from experts who know how to treat it, and individuals who are experiencing it.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The Conference Center at
Prairie State College
$79 Conference Registration
(use code PIHTH 026 C1 at checkout)
$99 Conference registration and CEU credits
(use codes PIHTH 026 C1 and PIHTH 026 C2 at checkout)
Friday, October 17, 2014
- Go to prairiestate.edu/webadvisor.
- Click on the purple "Continuing Education" box.
- Click "Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes".
- Enter course code number(s) desired as listed above.
- Click "Submit".
- Select class(es).
- Complete additional registration information.
(708) 709 – 7919
View photo gallery of past events.
Find a Career in Less Than a Year
Interested in finding a job but don't have a lot of Time to spare? Enroll in a Prairie State College non-credit career-focused class and learn the skills to get a job in less than a year.
Bridge to Manufacturing Careers
The Bridge to Manufacturing Careers course is designed to prepare you to take the GED® exam while preparing for entry-level employment or additional training in the manufacturing field! Median hourly rates of entry-level employees in the manufacturing field range from $12 to $20 per hour!
- Non high school graduate
- Appropriate TABE Reading and Math scores
- Completion of the Student Interest Form
- Proof of in-district residency (see flier)
- Approval of the Adult Education Program Coordinator
For more information, please contact Angioletta Maltbia, student services specialist, adult education at
(708) 709-7931 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local manufactures need skilled workers. High-skilled manufacturing jobs are coming back to the U.S. this program will help participants attain the skills and industry-recognized credentials that they need to get hired. Training is conveniently located in 3 locations: Daley College, Prairie State College and South Suburban College. Part-time and full-time courses are offered in manufacturing basics and advanced CNC machining. Applicants qualify based on reading and math assessment testing.
Classes start soon!
Contact OAI at (708) 339-8173 for more information.
Please visit: www.CGMP4U.org website for more information.