New smoking guidelines at Prairie State College effective September 1, 2009
Prairie State College has designated smoking areas and guidelines. These guidelines are aligned with the state law, Smoke Free Illinois Act. Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside College buildings. There are five new designated smoking areas on campus. Smoking is only allowed in those areas.
- First offense: Warning issued by Campus and Public Safety
- Second offense: $100 fine or option of attending Tobacco Free Class (2 hours)
Students: Failure to pay fine or attend class will result in block on student record impacting all student services including registration.
Employees: Option to either pay fine, attend Tobacco Free class, or receive oral warning step of disciplinary process.
- Third offense: $100 Fine
Students: Failure to pay fine will result in block on student record impacting all student services including registration.
Employees: Who have paid fine or attended tobacco free class will receive oral warning. Employees who have received oral warning will proceed to written warning step of disciplinary process.
Download flyer (1MB PDF)
Tobacco Free at PSC, It’s a Healthy Place to Be!
Effective July 1, 2015 tobacco products will be prohibited on campus. (Smoking will be allowed inside vehicles in parking lots).
Resources for Smoking Cessation
- American Heart Association 1-800-242-8721
- American Lung Association 1-800-586-4872
- Quitter in You
- Centers for Disease Control Office of Smoking and health 1-800-232-1311
- Illinois Tobacco Quit-line 1-866-784-8937