As a member of several local, regional and national organizations, PSC aims to integrate sustainability into the daily operations of the college through:
- Modified curriculum
- Energy savings initiatives
- Behavior change campaigns
- Student engagement
- Community outreach
PSC is working hard to green its facilities and operations, provide opportunities for students to pursue careers in green jobs, and serve as a sustainability resource center for the community.
Prairie State College became a founding member of the Community College Affiliate Program (CCAP), a national organization charged with advancing sustainability education and training and environmental science on Associate degree-granting institution campuses.
CCAP will advance:
- the quality of interdisciplinary environmental and sustainability education;
- student engagement, leadership and research;
- collaboration with other community colleges, four-year institutions and federal agencies; and
- the participation of administrators, faculty and staff in environmental and sustainability efforts.
CCAP members strive to provide diverse student populations with the skills and knowledge for successful careers in environmentally healthy and sustainable communities.
NCSE will build upon its ongoing and extensive programs with four-year institutions, federal agencies and other stakeholders to serve as the Secretariat to CCAP.
Prairie State College also continues its membership with:
- The Illinois Green Economy Network
- The South Metropolitan Higher Education Consortium
- The U.S. Green Building Council and Community Green
- The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- The American Association of Community Colleges SEED Center
Illinois Campus Sustainability CompactOn December 3, 2012, Prairie State College was recognized by Governor Quinn and the Green Governments Coordinating Council as a Bronze Level Compact School. To achieve this recognition, Prairie State College, through the sustainability center:
- Adopted a written statement acknowledging support for sustainability.
- Created a focal point to lead sustainability work across the campus.
- Created a web site that raises awareness and generates interest about the institution's sustainability efforts.
- Created opportunities for students and faculty to provide suggestions for advancing sustainability on campus.
On October 29, 2013, Prairie State College was again recognized by Governor Quinn and the Green Governments Coordinating Council, this time as a Silver Level Compact School. To achieve this recognition, Prairie State College, through the sustainability center:
- Fosters student involvement on several committees to guide administration on issues of sustainability.
- Set measurable sustainability objectives though a sustainability plan.
- Purchases green cleaning products; adopted policies to address new building through the sustainability plan; hosts campus wide events to encourage students to adopt sustainable practices; and partners with local entities to promote sustainability at the community level.
Prairie State College is currently working towards achieving Gold Level recognition.
Department of Energy Workplace Charging Challenge Pledge
On June 26, 2014, Dr. Terri Winfree signed the Department of Energy Workplace Charging Challenge Pledge signaling a commitment to provide plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) charging access for employees.
In the Department of Energy’s (DOE) EV Everywhere Grand Challenge, stakeholders across the nation are working together to enable the U.S. to produce PEVs that are as affordable and convenient as gasoline-powered vehicles by 2022. As part of EV Everywhere, the Workplace Charging Challenge aims to achieve a tenfold increase in the number of U.S. employers offering workplace charging by 2018.
For more information on the pledge and to see other Challenge Partners, visit the DOE's EV Everywhere Grand Challenge website.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Calculate Your Ecological Footprint
- Sustainability Task Force
- What Can You Do
- Community Garden
- Upcoming Events