Sustainability at PSC
Welcome to the Sustainability Center
The students, staff, administration, and faculty of Prairie State College are committed to improving and protecting the environment while promoting fiscal and social responsibility. To this end, the college will be a model of sustainability for the district, educating students and the broader community about pressures on the global and local environment, increasing awareness of and educating for the green economy, and addressing social issues in our community to ensure a quality of life for future generations that is greater than the present.PSC's sustainability center was launched in 2011 and serves as a resource for students, faculty, staff, and community members interested in sustainability, including the emerging green economy, green jobs training, and energy efficiency.
PSC is a member of the Illinois Green Economy Network, a state-wide network connecting sustainability professionals across the state to advance sustainability initiatives and best practices on our campuses and in our local communities.
It's not too late to register for this Spring's special gardening courses. See our Non-credit green courses for more information.
Going Green Around Campus
- NEW! Earth Week Schedule Released.
- NEW! Non-credit green Courses. Registration Open.
- NEW! Color PSC Green Challenge: Round 2 to begin this April!
- NEW! Community Garden to open for its third season this May!
- Resources for faculty, students, staff and the community.
- Water Stations
- Green Parking
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Automatic Shutdowns
- Community Garden: A Successful Season
NEW! Silver Level Compact School
Prairie State College has been recognized as a Silver Level Compact School by Governor Quinn and the Green Governments Coordinating Council. To achieve this recognition, Prairie State College, through the sustainability center:
- Adopted a written statement acknowledging support for sustainability.
- Created a focal point to lead sustainability work across the campus.
- Created a web site that raises awareness and generates interest about the institution’s sustainability efforts.
- Created opportunities for students and faculty to provide suggestions for advancing sustainability on campus.
- Fosters student involvement on several committees to guide administration on issues of sustainability.
- Set measurable sustainability objectives though a sustainability plan.
- Purchases green cleaning products; adopted policies to address new building through the sustainability plan; hosts campus wide events to encourage students to adopt sustainable practices; and partners with local entities to promote sustainability at the community level.
Prairie State College will continue to work toward achieving Gold Level recognition.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Calculate Your Ecological Footprint
- Sustainability Task Force
- What Can You Do
- Community Garden
- Upcoming Events