Emergency Community Services

This list of service providers is offered for those who need to seek resources quickly. It is not meant to replace the one-to-one help of a licensed counseling professional, and it is not all-inclusive. Every effort has been made to list accurate and current resources. Please report any changes to the Advising and Counseling desk, so that others may benefit from updated information. If you know of additional helping agencies, please help us update this list.

Each individual's situation and eligibility are unique; not every agency can assist each individual.

  • Each agency or provider sets its own criteria for assistance.
  • Residency and income requirements are determined by each agency.
  • You may be asked to provide verification of your needs, as well as identification and proof of residency (driver's license; state I.D. card; current bill showing address) depending upon the agency's policies. This may include documentation of hardship; copies of bills; loss of income; etc.
  • Be prepared to provide required info that will qualify you for services.


St. Mary's Services/Hopeful Beginnings
300 E. Northwest Highway, Suite 200
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
Office: (847) 870-8181
Cell: (847 504-7806
Fax: (847) 870-8325
Building Loving Families Brochure
Hopeful Beginnings Brochure

Clothing (job interviews)

Student job seekers can work with PSC Student Career Development Center to qualify for a clothing voucher to obtain one professional interview outfit.

Contact Tanya Norfleet, Coordinator/Career Development Services, at (708) 709-3755 for more information.

Clothing (emergency need)

Respond Now
(708) 755-4357


Grand Prairie Services (individual, group and family counseling)
(708) 444-1012

PSC's Advising and Counseling Center has licensed professional counselors available to assist during scheduled college hours.


Aunt Martha's
1-877-692-8686 or 1-877-MY-AUNT-M

Developmental Disabilities (Children 0-3)

Good Shepherd Center
(708) 335-0020

Domestic Violence

Crisis Center for South Suburbia
(708) 429-7255 (24-hour domestic violence hotline)

South Suburban Family Shelter (24-hour domestic violence hotline)
Local: (708) 335-3028
Toll free: (877) 335-3020


Many churches offer food distribution, based on their own daily or weekly schedules.

Feeding Ilinois Partner Agencies
Locate your nearest Feeding Illinois partner agency and its hours of operations. Choose your county and narrow it down by entering your zip code.

Greater Chicago Food Depository Agency
Enter a zip code to find a food pantry, soup kitchen or shelter in Cook County or scroll down and click on the map for an agency near you.

This online resource will help you locate the food pantries, soup kitchens, and meal programs closest to you. Direct2Food will also help you determine if you are eligible for further assistance like food stamps and resources for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).

Northwest Indiana Food Pantries
For pantry listings please contact the Food Bank at 219-980-1777. The agencies are located in the following communities: Lake County - Cedar Lake, Crown Point, East Chicago, Gary, Griffith, Hammond, Hebron, Highland, Hobart, Lake Station, Lowell, Merrillville, Munster, Winfield. PORTER COUNTY—Chesterton, Portage, and Valparaiso.


Foreclosure Info for Tenants

Tenants in Foreclosure Help Line
To speak with someone directly, contact the free Tenants in Foreclosure Help Line.
(855) 207-8347
Brochure: Foreclosure Doesn't Mean Get Out Now!

General Assistance (see "multiple assistance" categories below)

P.A.D.S. (Public Action to Deliver Shelter)
(708) 481-2610

Respond Now
(708) 755-4357

Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago
(708) 271-4950

Aunt Martha's
1-877-692-8686 or 1-877-MY-AUNT-M

ACCESS to Care
(708) 754-9687

Cook County Dept. of Public Health South District Office - Markham
(708) 235-4500

Cottage Grove Medical Center, Ford Heights
(708) 757-8800

CountyCare–Medicaid program for Cook County citizens age 19-64
(855) 444-1661

Park Forest Health Department Nurses Plus
(708) 748-1118
350 Victory Drive (lower level)
Park Forest, IL 60466
Loan closet for medical equipment
Immunizations/school physicals

Service Areas:
Chicago Heights
Country Club Hills
East Hazel Crest
Ford Heights
Olympia Fields
Park Forest
Richton Park
South Chicago Heights
Tinley Park
University Park

Plus some areas of Thornton & Lansing


Rent assistance
Catholic Charities
(877) 426-6515
M-F, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Need financial assistance to help pay your rent?
Have a 5 day notice?
Have a temporary crisis?
Have income?

Tenants' Rights & Eviction Defense
LAF (Legal Aid Foundation) attorneys available for consultation on landlord/tenant issues; eviction defense; and assistance with documentation preparation. 
Free service for Tenants only, M-F (except court holidays) 9 a.m.-12 p.m.:
Markham Courthouse, Room 202(g)
16501 S. Kedzie
Markham, IL


Multiple Needs - Case Assessment

Agencies which have case managers to assess all of your needs.

Ford Heights Community Service Organization
(708) 758-2565

Catholic Charities
(312) 655-7700

"The HUB"
(708) 966-9HUB / (708) 966-9482
(877) 426-6515

The HUB provides residents of south suburban Cook County with information and referrals to job training and employment programs; food, clothing, and basic needs; disability services; benefits assistance; medical, legal, and professional services; homeless services; housing assistance; youth and senior services; and much more. The core partners of the HUB are Ford Heights Community Service Organization, Respond Now, South Suburban P.A.D.S., and Together We Cope.

Respond Now (food; utility bill assistance–show bills)
(708) 755-4357

Together We Cope
(708) 633-5040

The service area of Together We Cope is bounded by 87th Street on the north, Will-Cook Road on the west, 183rd Street on the south, and Western Avenue on the east (with the Mount Greenwood area excepted because it is part of the City of Chicago). Our service area includes the townships of Bremen, Orland, Palos, and Worth. We serve all of Alsip, Chicago Ridge, Crestwood, Evergreen Park, Hickory Hills, Hometown, Merrionette Park, Midlothian, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Orland Hills, Orland Park, Palos Heights, Palos Hills, Palos Park, Posen, Robbins, Tinley Park, and Worth.

Also serving parts of Blue Island, Bridgeview, Country Club Hills, Harvey, Hazel Crest, Homewood, and Markham.


Other Agencies Providing Multiple Assistance:

Salvation Army
(708) 332-0100 Blue Island
(219) 838-0380 Munster
(Food, shelter, utility assistance)

Catholic Charities
(312) 655-7700
(877) 426-6515
(708) 333-8379
16100 Seton Dr.
South Holland, IL 60473
(food, clothing, counseling, emergency funding: non-denominational)

CEDA (Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County, Inc.)
800 571-CEDA (2332)
(708) 754-4575
1203 West End Avenue
Chicago Heights, Illinois 60411

Aunt Martha's (targeting youth/adolescents; women & children; offers health & prevention services; housing & shelter; intervention & support)
233 W. Joe Orr Rd.
Chicago Heights
(877) 692-8686 / (877) MY-AUNT-M

Shriver Center
The Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law provides national leadership in advancing laws and policies that secure justice to improve the lives and opportunities of people living in poverty.
Adult Student's Public Benefit Guide
This guide is intended to help college students and participants in job training to determine whether they qualify for public benefits or services, and how to apply for assistance.

Sexual Assault Hotline

(708) 656-4673

Substance Abuse

South Suburban Council on Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
(708) 647-3333

Townships (not all townships are listed; most townships include high school districts)

General and emergency assistance; food distribution; contact township where you reside.

Bloom Township Office (must be Bloom Twp. resident)
Halsted St. (Across from PSC)
425 S. Halsted St.
Chicago Heights
(708) 754-9400

Bremen Township Office (must be Bremen Twp. resident)
16361 S. Kedzie Parkway
Markham, IL 60428
(708) 333-9530

Crete Township Office (must be Crete Twp. resident)
1367 Wood Street
Crete, IL 60417
(708) 672-8279

Monee Township Office (must be Monee Twp. resident)
26121 Egyptian Trail
Monee, IL 60449
(708) 534-6020

Rich Township Office (must be Rich Twp. resident)
22013 Governors Hwy.
Richton Park
(708) 748-6722

Thornton Township Office (must be Thornton Twp. resident)
333 East 162nd Street
South Holland, IL 60473
(708) 596-6040

Washington Township (must be Washington Twp. resident; Beecher)
30200 Town Center Road
Beecher, IL 60401
(708) 94-2026


PACE (suburban bus)
(847) 364-7223

RTA (routes for public transportation)
(708) 836-7000

Utility bills

Begin by contacting the utility. Ask for assistance/payment plan/deferment.