Who am I?
By Kelly Mendez, Editor-in-Chief
My name is Kelly Mendez (aka: McClanahan). I have been appointed to be your new Editor-in-Chief. I am a returning Student Review member. You may remember some of my articles and/or poetry that has been published in the past year's editions.
I returned to college in the fall of 2009 after an 18 year hiatus. Initially, I was looking to enter the field of Biological Science. That's right! I consider myself a science geek. After my first semester, I was drawn to become a teacher, so now I am pursuing a teaching degree. My goal is to teach high school biology at a Christian high school, but for the next year, I will be attending classes here at PSC and being the best EIC I can be. If there is anything I can do to help, ecnourage, or assist you, please feel free to concact me in the Student Leadership Center, room 1260 on the first floor, or call (708) 709-3535. I look forward to seeing you on campus.
TO ALL EDITORS AND STAFF
ALL deadline dates have a FINAL turn-in time of 3 p.m. That means if you do not have your submission in by the deadline date at 3 p.m., it will NOT be in the upcoming issue (unless arraned with me in advance). This is a deadline, which means it is the LAST day to turn items in. Please plan on turning submission in BEFORE the deadline and this will help to ensure our distribution schedule. Commitments not kept effect the paper as a whole.
Thank you for your dedication -- Kelly Mendez - EIC
Duties and Definition of Office:
The duties and responsibilities of each section of the paper shall be defined as follows:
- Ultimately responsible for the entire staff of the Student Review. They shall consult with the Editorial Staff concerning any potentially controversial decisions, or those that affects the entire Staff, in addition to handling any day-to-day responsibilities that may arise. The EIC must also deal with any personnel matters that may arise.
- The EIC shall deal with any complaints registered against the Student Review.
- The EIC must attend a weekly meeting with the Advisor concerning Staff development.
- The EIC must be available to hold office hours for 10-12 hours a week. They must be available during that time to answer phone calls, open and reply to mail, discuss page and space requirements with the advertising manager and handle queries concerning the Student Review from any Staff or Editors.
- The Editor shall meet with the Editors and Staff on a weekly basis to discuss the upcoming issues, as well as go over the most recent publication.
- The Editor must be available to assist with layout, design and the overseeing of story editing.
- The Editor must be available to perform a final check of all pages and skim all articles before the draft is submitted to the printers.
- The Editor provides the final editing of a story for content and facts.
- The Editor is responsible for checking over the story assignments with the Section Editors to develop story ideas and to ensure there is no overlap in story content.
- They shall help plan all photo assignments.
- The Editor shall make all arrangements to cover any long-term stories with the consultation of the Advisor.
- The Editor is responsible for planning any monthly workshops or trips for the Staff. This shall be done in consultation with the Advisor.
- The Editor is responsible for ensuring the same standard of accuracy and proof in columns and editorials that must be met in news stories.
- The Editor must also develop an annual budget in consultation with the Advisor.
Advisor: Helen Manley, Newsroom 708-709-3535
To submit articles for the Student Review please put them in the Student Review mailbox in the Student Leadership Center (Rm 1260).