What You Can Do
- Turn-off lights when leaving the room
- Use natural lighting instead of lamps when possible
- Do not use halogen lights
- Use limited task lighting when possible
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs
Heating and Air Conditioning
- Dress to the season
- Unplug electric appliances when not in use
- Set your thermostat sensibly
- Adjust your thermostat to a higher or lower temperature when you're not there
- Don't use automatic doors unless you need them; this brings in cold/warm air from outside
Computer and Office Equipment
- Turn off computers and other office equipment at the end of the day
- Enable power-save mode for computers, printers, copiers, other office equipment
- Eliminate non-essential office equipment by consolidating and sharing under-used equipment
- Buy equipment with an ENERGY STAR label
Energy tips adapted from University of Wisconsin's "We Conserve" campaign.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Keep recyclables out of trash.
- Only print or copy what is needed.
- Send electronic copies of documents whenever possible.
- Use the "print preview" function to find errors before printing.
- Print and copy double-sided.
- Reuse one-sided office paper by bringing it to the Student Success Center for use in tutoring.
- Use a reusable mug or water bottle whenever possible.
- Buy durable and reusable items rather than disposable items.
- Reuse cardboard boxes by bringing them to the loading dock for use in outgoing shipments.
- Use cloth instead of paper towels when possible.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers and use a reusable bag or lunchbox.
- Don't take the plastic bag or the disposable utensils when you get takeout—use your own reusable utensils.
The Sustainability Task Force is a volunteer group overseen by Vice President Alan Robertson (Finance and Administration), which advances projects to "green" the campus and educate students and staff about sustainability. To parallel the four IGEN priority areas, the Task Force is subdivided into four subcommittees:
- Campus Sustainability
- Sustainability Education
- Community Engagement
- Workforce Development
PSC faculty, staff, and students are invited to join the Task Force. If you would like to learn more, please contact the Sustainability Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out these resources that will help you learn more.
If you are interested in being added to the PSC Sustainability Center email list, please contact the Sustainability Center.
- Allessandra Cairo, sustainability coordinator
- (708) 709-3764, Room 2182
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- What can you recycle on campus and at home?
- Waste diversion at PSC
- Tips for Waste Reduction
- PSC Asset Disposal Procedures
- STEM and the Community College
- Cutting Utility Costs
- Sustainability explained
- Green courses at PSC
- Additional resources
- Sustainable Celebrations