Dental Hygiene FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about the Dental Hygiene Program

Q: How do I get started?

A: This is a limited enrollment program and has special requirements. It is strongly suggested that you meet with an academic advisor. New students should contact the Counseling and Academic Advising Center at (708) 709-3506. Information regarding the Application Process can be obtained through Lynn Rapata in the Enrollment Services Office or by calling (708) 709-3515.

Q: Why choose dental hygiene?

A: It is projected to be one of the 30 fastest growing occupations. It offers flexible work schedules and it is an excellent career opportunity for those seeking a career change or re-entry into the workforce.

Q: What makes Prairie State College a good choice for my dental hygiene education?

A: The Dental Hygiene program at Prairie State:

  • is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association;
  • prepares graduates to function as periodontal co-therapists;
  • employs creative and innovative teaching/learning methodologies;
  • provides low student to faculty ratios in clinic and labs;
  • provides learners with well-maintained equipment in clinic and labs and state-of-the-art facilities;
  • employs faculty who are knowledgeable in current dental hygiene treatment methods;
  • more than 1,000 students have earned an A.A.S. degree in dental hygiene from Prairie State College.
Q: What are the aptitudes and physical demands needed to be successful as a dental hygienist?

A: Must have an aptitude for science. Good eye-hand coordination and hand/finger dexterity without tremor. Should enjoy working with people in close proximity and be able to use the English language to communicate effectively. Visual and auditory acuity must be within the normal range and must have full range of body movement. (For more details, see Essential Functions).

Q: How much does the program cost?

A: Current tuition rates are listed at TUITION AND FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. Financial aid is available through the Financial Aid Office at Prairie State College.

Q: Are there specific health requirements for this program?

A: Yes. It is best to wait until you are actually accepted into the program before pursuing your requirements due to certain time restrictions. A physical examination as well as a dental examination are required for all students. The hepatitis vaccine is also required.

Q: What about insurance coverage?

A: All dental hygiene students will be covered by liability insurance, however, all students MUST have personal health insurance coverage. Proof of insurance is required at the beginning of each semester/summer session and kept on file in the Dental Hygiene offices.

Q: What are Cooperative Agreements and why would I need one?

A: If you local Illinois community college district does not offer a program that is offered by Prairie State College, you may be eligible to receive assistance from your district's community college. You must obtain a "Declaration of Intent" from your local community college. If approved, you will receive a signed cooperative agreement form, which you must present to Prairie State College at registration, and you will be billed at PSC's in-district rates.