Deborah Smith Havighorst
Executive Director, Institutional Advancement and the PSC Foundation
Manager of Scholarships and Alumni Relations, Institutional Advancement and the PSC Foundation
Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Other Hours: By appointment
Foundation Scholarship Facts
- Foundation scholarships are need based.
- Priority is given to students paying the PSC district tuition rate.
- An application must be submitted for each semester, once registered, in order to be considered.
- On average, the scholarship covers up to 30% of a qualifying student’s out of pocket tuition and textbook costs.
- Funding is limited. Once semester funds have been exhausted - the application window will close.
Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. The response time varies, based on the number of applications pending review. Applicants are notified via student email once a decision has been made.
Foundation Scholarship Eligibility
A scholarship applicant must:
- Be registered for the semester for which they are applying BEFORE completing the application.
- Be working towards earning their first degree and seeking that degree from PSC. *Consideration is given to those admitted into a selective admissions program at PSC.
- Have a minimum 2.0 GPA. *For those who don't meet the minimum GPA requirement, email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options.
- Have a current FAFSA on file in Financial Aid.
*If you are not able to complete a FAFSA, please email email@example.com to discuss.
- Demonstrate financial need.
Before Starting a Foundation Scholarship Application
New students must:
- Apply for admission to PSC at https://psc-apply.force.com/
New and returning students must:
- Complete a FAFSA for the current academic year. Learn more at https://prairiestate.edu/apply-reg-pay/financial-aid/ or contact the PSC Financial Aid Office at (708) 709-3735 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meet with a PSC Academic Advisor to discuss program options and create an Academic Plan. More information at https://prairiestate.edu/student-services/academic-advising-center/
- Register for classes https://prairiestate.edu/future-students/index.aspx Changes in enrolled hours, class schedule, or required textbooks will delay an award offer.
- Set up a tuition payment plan with the PSC Business Office at https://prairiestate.edu/apply-reg-pay/how-to-pay/payment-plan/index.aspx Foundation scholarship awards do not cover entire costs and cannot be used as a tuition down payment. Qualifying students will not receive an award offer if a payment has not been made. For assistance with tuition and fees, payment plans, and other student billing questions, call (708) 709-3577 or email email@example.com.
Steps to Complete a PSC Foundation Scholarship Application
- Go to prairiestate.edu.
- Click $PSC Foundation/Scholarships.
- Review the Foundation Scholarship Facts and Eligibility .
- Click Apply Now .
- Click Sign In at the top right of the page.
- Click Sign In With Your Institution.
- Sign in using your PSC username and password provided by the PSC Information Technology Resources Department.
- Complete the General Application as directed.
- Once completed, DO NOT randomly click on individual scholarships. Based on your application answers, the system will auto match you to any scholarships for which you qualify. Clicking on individual scholarships that you are not eligible for will delay your application’s review.
- If you need to stop completing the application before it is finished, be sure to click SAVE.
- Click Finish and Submit when completed.
- Once the application is submitted, you will receive an email confirmation. You may be asked to answer additional questions for recommended scholarships. Please follow the directions to do so to increase your chances of being offered an award.
- Applicants will receive an email notification of the PSCF Scholarship Review Committee’s decision. The response time varies, based on the number of applications in review.
For questions, contact:
Manager, Scholarships and Alumni Relations
firstname.lastname@example.org or (708) 709-7879
The Foundation offers scholarships to assist eligible students in paying for their education at Prairie State College. Each year, hundreds of students receive assistance with tuition, fees and textbooks. Proceeds from the events listed below support PSC scholarships. Please consider supporting by attending and/or sponsoring these events.
Economic Forecast Breakfast
The Economic Forecast Breakfast is an annual event for community members and business owners. Past guest speakers have included representatives of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Guests enjoy breakfast, with an opportunity to network, while learning the economic forecast for the greater southland community, the state and the country, all while supporting the Prairie State College Foundation.
Scholarship Classic Golf Outing
The first Scholarship Classic Golf Outing was held in 1993 and continues as an annual fundraiser supporting the Foundation’s scholarship programs. Each year, participants enjoy a day of golf, lunch, dinner and cocktails. Through the generosity of the Scholarship Classic participants and sponsors, hundreds of students have achieved their educational goals at Prairie State College.
Reach For The Stars Gala
The annual Reach for the Stars Gala is the preeminent fundraiser that celebrates student success and typically funds an entire semester’s worth of scholarships. This event is known for always offering attendees a memorable experience in an elegant setting and includes dinner, entertainment and dancing – all to raise funds to support Prairie State College student scholarships. The Reach for the Stars Award honors an individual who’s time, talent and commitment has made a significant impact in the lives of students in the PSC community.
The Foundation Board of Directors is comprised of individuals dedicated to the success of Prairie State College students. Need-based scholarships are awarded to help students cover the cost of tuition and books.
André B. Ashmore
Rebecca A. Nagle
Dr. Judy Mitchell
Board of Directors
Michael D. Anthony, Ph.D.
Chief Jimmy Delano
Maria M. Desmond
Marie Hansel, DNP, RN
Joyce Morgan Michael
Patrick J. Ormsby
Marilyn Kent Tapajna
Elighie Wilson III
Deborah Smith Havighorst
Frequently Asked Questions About Scholarships
- registered for the semester which you are applying,
- a current FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office,
- seeking a degree or certificate program at Prairie State College,
- a 2.0 GPA or higher, and
- demonstrates financial need.
Spotlight Scholars were asked to complete the line, "If it wasn't for Prairie State College..."
If it wasn’t for Prairie State College I wouldn’t be on the verge of accomplishing my dreams. An educated woman is what I became. I have overcome my circumstance and obstacles. Yes, I have done the impossible. In 2 months and 17 days I will be the first nurse and college graduate in my family. Most people said it was going to be difficult to work nights at UPS and be a full-time nursing student. However, with the support and dedication Prairie State gives it students, anything is possible. I am confident, self-assured and more than ready to start my career in what I love to do. Which is to care for those who can’t care for themselves. I am Santario Washington and I’m proud to say that I am a Prairie State College Scholar.
If it wasn't for Prairie State College, I wouldn't have been able to start my journey as a nurse. Nursing has always been my passion and attending Prairie State has helped me realize that if you want something you have to put in the work to get it. Being a part of a school where faculty sincerely cares about your success and people who will do anything to help you succeed is a blessing. I am proud say I will soon be receiving my second degree from Prairie State College..
If it wasn’t for Prairie State College, I would not be standing here before you tonight, thanking each and every single one of you. Being able to go home tonight and telling my mother I’m a college student. This statement might be insignificant to many, but to me it means everything. I am an undocumented student that lives with his single mother and younger sister and we are barely making enough income for rent and bills. Being an undocumented student didn’t help my case because I am not eligible to apply for any Federal Financial Aid and most scholarships ask that you need to be a citizen. The idea of attending college one day seemed impossible. Having to mature at a very young age because I was now the, “man of the house” and taking care of my little sister was my main priority while my mother worked. I briefly lost sight of my own goals and saw them as an impossible obstacle I couldn’t get past. When my senior year of high school came I was ready to see all my friends go away to school, but Prairie State College reached out to a handful of us and asked us to place into their Early College Initiative program. I took classes at Prairie State College even before I graduated from high school and it helped me realize that nothing is impossible. I didn’t care what I had to do, but I decided I was going to college. I sometimes have to work two jobs just to make enough to make that monthly tuition payment, and help my mother at home with bills, rent and to fix our car every time it breaks down. I often sleep 3 to 4 hours a night so I can squeeze in some study time before waking up at 4 a.m. to go to work. I take the bus or often walk to school when I don’t have enough change to take the bus. I have the Foundation to thank for every scholarship they’ve found that I was eligible to apply for due to my status. With that help it take some weight off of my back and now I am able to help at home with more expenses. Prairie State College helped me meet so many helpful people that are willing to go out of their way for me. I have friends that have seen me walking to school give me rides whenever they can. My academic advisor, Jennica, helps me to stay on track and not lose hope and sight of what my goals are and always opens another door of opportunity when one closes and has helped me find some financial relief through the Foundation disregarding my status. Because of Prairie State College I am overjoyed to say that I am a college student and I can bring the news to my mother that I will be graduating this spring and continuing with my academic career and thank her for all her hard work.
If it wasn't for Prairie State, I would not have had the opportunity to explore my potential as a leader. 7 years ago, I wasn't even able to speak English fluently, but right now I am serving as the President of Phi Theta Kappa National Honor society at Prairie State. Every staff member I interact with at Prairie State has made a difference in my life. Through this interaction, I was able to find the leader that was inside me and I was able to overcome my fears because they motivated me every day— even when I was down.
If it wasn’t for Prairie State College, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Ever since I was young, I have always been taught how important opportunity is and that education is the key. Since coming to Prairie State, I’ve been able to not just get an education but to grow. Being there has given me the opportunity to learn more about myself and to be a part of many different experiences. I’ve also had the opportunity to meet many amazing people who helped shape me and who I am today.
If it wasn't for Prairie State College and your support, I would not have had the opportunity to attend this prestigious school. I am a proud recipient of tuition and book scholarship awards. I have balanced family, work and school. It wasn’t easy, but I continue to do it with a smile oon my face and no complaints. Gandhi stated, “You must be the change you want to see in the world.” Prairie State College has given me the opportunities to change into the person I want to be who helps to change the world. I currently work for Cook County Health and Hospitals Systems. My career goal is to use my newly earned Criminal Justice degree at the Juvenile Detention Center as a Probation Counselor. There I will be able to help others like you have helped me.