Students must receive a document by document evaluation if their secondary (high) school education was completed at an institution outside of the United States of America. Students having completed post-secondary (college) coursework at an institution outside of the United Stated must receive a course by course evaluation. Document by document and course by course evaluations must be obtained from Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) www.ece.org or World Educational Services (WES) www.wes.org.
We want international students to have a successful academic and personal experience while attending PSC. Prior to enrolling at PSC, international students must have successfully completed the equivalent of 12 years of schooling, including primary and secondary levels.
You must comply with the following requirements:
- Educational Records. You must present official records of all schoolwork completed or attempted. All records must list the subjects taken, grades earned, or examination results in each subject, you must also supply all certificates and diplomas. If these are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by an official English translation. The credentials must be certified by an official of the school issuing the documents or by a United States consulate official. Uncertified copies are not acceptable.
- English Proficiency. Proficiency in English at a college level is demonstrated by a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 61 (internet-based). Or IELTS (English Language Test) score of 6.5. TOEFL or IELTS scores are valid for 2 years. The TOEFL may be waived if the national language of your home country is English. You can contact PSC's International Student Advisors for more information on English proficiency at (708) 709-7809. Contact the nearest American Consulate in your home country for dates when TOEFL will be administered. On arrival at PSC you must complete an English and reading assessment.
- Financial Resources. To be considered for admission, you must furnish evidence that adequate provision has been made for all your financial needs while studying in the United States.
- Local Sponsor. If you have a local sponsor, you must indicate who it is. The local sponsor must be an American citizen or a permanent resident who will be financially responsible for you while you attend PSC.
- Application Deadline. All credentials need to be submitted at least four months prior to the proposed admission date. PSC does not provide housing. You must show that housing arrangements have been made by your local sponsor.
What If I Never Attend?
Course attendance is important to academic success. You must attend the courses you register for at Prairie State College. If you register for a course and never attend, you run the risk of being dropped from the course(s). If you will be unable to attend any courses in which you enrolled, you must drop them. Refer to the academic calendar and the college refund table for applicable dates. Use the A-Z index where information is arranged alphabetically.