G-8: Employee Leaves of Absence
Adoption Date: 07/20/92 | Revision Date: 12/16/02 | Revision Date: 02/22/11 | Revision Date: 02/28/12 | Revision Date: 08/25/15 | Review Date: 12/04/18
Prairie State College shall provide a program of leaves of absence from assigned College duties -- both with and without pay -- for its eligible benefitted employees in order to serve the best interests of the College and its personnel. Said leaves are to be subject to the terms and conditions of appropriate collective bargaining agreements as well as conditions applicable to non-bargaining personnel subgroups.
The College's Office of Human Resources shall provide detailed information regarding the parameters which pertain to each type of leave as it may or may not apply to particular personnel subgroups -- faculty, contractual support staff, manager/professional employees, confidential support staff, grant funded employees and administrative employees.
Leaves with Pay
- Faculty: Refer to the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
- Contractual Support Staff: Refer to the collective bargaining agreement.
- Confidential Support Staff: Same as provided in the support staff collective bargaining agreement.
- Police Officers: Refer to the collective bargaining agreement.
- Grant Funded Employees: Same as provided for the employees in the same employee group, subject to limitations of the applicable grant.
- Administrative Employees and Manager/Professional Employees:
- Vacation Leave
- Full-time administrative and manager/professional employees will be allocated one hundred ninety-two (192) hours [twenty-four (24) days] paid vacation at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Allocated vacation time must be used within 12 months after the end of the fiscal year in which it is earned. Vacation time will be recorded on a first earned, first used basis. Vacation time allocated but not used which is in excess of the 12 month limit will be transferred to accumulated sick leave.
- Salary shall not be paid in lieu of time off for vacation earned except at time of termination, except a cabinet member may choose to be compensated for a maximum of eight (8) unused vacation days per year; an administrator may choose to be compensated for a maximium of five (5) unused vacation days per year; and a manager may choose to be compensated for a maximum of three (3) unused vacation days per year at the end of the fiscal year in which they are earned, at the per diem rate of compensation calculated on the basis of 260 work days per year.
- In the event an administrative or manager/professional employee leaves his/her employment prior to the completion of a contract period, he/she shall refund to the College his/her prorated share of any used but unearned vacation at the rate of 1.83 days per month.
- Sick Leave. Leave for purposes of personal illness or disability, hospitalization, doctor's appointments,
quarantine of an employee, or the illness of an immediate family member (employee's
spouse, partner, children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, siblings, or in-laws);
leave is subject to the employee's adherence to required College procedures.
- Full-time manager/professional employees may earn 96 hours [twelve (12) days) paid sick leave each year with unlimited accumulation.
- Full-time administrative employees may earn one hundred twenty (120) hours [fifteen (15) days] paid sick leave each year with unlimited accumulation.
- Allocated vacation hours may be applied toward sick leave in cases of extended illness or when all sick leave has been exhausted.
- Upon written request to the appropriate director/dean and executive officer and approval by the President, a manager/professional employee or administrative employee may borrow ninety-six (96) hours [twelve (12) days] sick leave from the next fiscal year due to an extended illness. (Repayment of any borrowed sick leave will be required if an employee terminates employment.)
- A manager/professional employee or administrative employee who has exhausted all accumulated sick leave may be given up to one hundred sixty (160) hours [twenty (20) days] additional sick leave during his/her tenure at the College upon written request to the appropriate director/dean and executive officer and approval by the President. (This provision applies after borrowed sick leave has been exhausted.)
- After 24 or more consecutive hours (three days) off due to an illness or injury, a verification documenting the illness, from a licensed physician may be requested by the immediate supervisor. In such case, the verification shall be submitted to the supervisor upon return to work.
- After two (2) or more weeks of illness, the supervisor and/or Executive Director of Human Resources may request a medical statement indicating prognosis of the illness or injury and an estimate of when the manager/professional employee may be able to return to work.
- Upon retirement, a manager/professional employee and administrative employee may apply a portion of accumulated sick leave days toward service credit according to the policy in effect with the State Universities Retirement System.
- Upon termination of employment, manager/professional employees and administrative employees are not compensated for sick leave.
- The abuse of sick leave shall be grounds for discharge or other disciplinary action at the College's discretion.
- Sick leave and parental leave benefits are independent of each other and not simultaneously utilized.
- In the event a manager/professional employee leaves his/her employment prior to the completion of a contract period, he/she shall refund to the College his/her prorated share of the used but unearned sick time at the rate of 1 day per month.
- In the event an administrative employee leaves his/her employment prior to the completion of a contract period, he/she shall refund to the College his/her prorated share of the used but unearned sick time at the rate of 1.25 days per month.
- Sick Bank. The Board of Trustees authorizes the establishment of Sick Banks for all eligible employee groups.3
- Jury Duty Leave. Leave for purposes of performing summoned jury duties; leave is subject to the employee's adherence to required College procedures and in accordance with Illinois state law.
- Bereavement Leave. Leave (a maximum of five  days) for purposes of bereavement resulting from the death of an immediate family member (employee's spouse, partner, children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents, siblings, or in-laws); leave is subject to the employee's adherence to required College procedures in accordance therewith.
- Vacation Leave
Leaves Without Pay
- Family Leave. The College shall recognize and comply with the provisions of the Family Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”), 29 U.S.C. 2601, et. seq., as amended by the National Defense Authorization Act. Leave under FMLA may be with pay if an employee has accrued benefits (e.g., sick and vacation leave).
- Parental Leave. Leave for purposes of attending school conferences or classroom activities that cannot be scheduled during non-work hours.
- Professional Leave: Leave for professional reasons.
- Military Leave: The College will comply with the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-employment Rights Act (USERRA).
- Other Leaves: The College may approve other leaves without pay.
- All leaves without pay are subject to adherence to required College procedures and in accordance with Illinois state law.
- A leave request for more than the 12 weeks provided under the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 is subject to the recommendation of the immediate supervisor, executive officer, acceptance by the President, and approval by the Board of Trustees.
- Vacation and sick leaves are not cumulative during any approved unpaid leave of 30 days or more