Deborah Smith Havighorst
Executive Director, Institutional Advancement and the Prairie State College Foundation
Coordinator of Scholarships and Alumni Relations, Prairie State College Foundation
Assistant, Institutional Advancement and the Prairie State College Foundation
Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Other Hours: By appointment
Pre-qualifying criteria for scholarships are:
- Must be registered for the semester for which you are applying for a scholarship.
- Must have a 2.0 GPA (If your GPA is under 2.0, please contact the PSC Foundation office, so that we may discuss.)
- Must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program at PSC.
- Students who have already earned a degree, will not be considered, unless they have been admitted into PSC’s Dental Hygiene, Nursing, or Surgical Tech programs.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Must have filed a FAFSA for the semester for which you are applying for a scholarship. (If you are unable to complete a FAFSA, please contact the PSC Foundation office, so that we may discuss.)
Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
The Prairie State College Foundation is a non-profit organization committed to excellence in education by promoting Prairie State College and enhancing opportunities for students.
1. Increase public awareness of the College's central role in the well-being of our community and its citizens.
2. Seek financial support to fund student scholarships, attract and retain able faculty and staff, and provide for the College's growth and development.
3. Identify potential Board members, involving those who bring leadership, insights, and new contacts to the Foundation.
Some Facts about the Prairie State College Foundation
- Founded in 1973, the Foundation is a philanthropic organization. Dedicated to helping deserving PSC students seeking job skills through academic achievement, PSC Foundation scholarships encourage the process of lifelong learning.
- The Board of Directors are unpaid volunteers.
- 501(c) 3 not-for-profit status assures tax deductibility for donors.
The Prairie State Foundation offers scholarships to assist eligible students in paying for their education at Prairie State College. Hundreds of students each year receive assistance with tuition, fees, and books. Donations are accepted to the PSC Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization. In addition, annually three fund raising events are held to raise scholarship funds.
Economic Forecast Breakfast
This year's event was held on Friday, February 22, 2019 at Ravisloe Country Club. Our featured speaker was William A. Strauss, Senior Economist and Economic Advisor in the Economic Research Department at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Thanks to all who attended. Your support is certainly appreciated.
Scholarship Classic Golf Outing
The Annual Scholarship Classic was held on June 3, 2019. Thank you for helping Prairie State College raise funds for worthy candidates who deserve a chance to succeed. Find out how to make a contribution to the PSC Foundation.
Reach for the Stars Gala
The 2019 Prairie State College Foundation Gala was held on Saturday, October 19, 2019 at Prairie State College. Guests enjoyed music, live auction and other entertainment.
The Foundation Board of Directors is comprised of individuals dedicated to the success of Prairie State College students. Need-based scholarships are awarded to help students cover the cost of tuition and books.
Thomas Saban, Ph.D.
|Board of Directors|
|André B. Ashmore||Cook County Board of
|Dr. Michael Anthony||VP PSC Student Affairs & Institutional Effectiveness|
|Johan Boyo||VP PSC Student Government Association|
|Chief Jimmy G. Delano||The Harmony International Group|
|Maria M. Desmond||Prairie State College Alumna|
|Brent Frank||Midland States Bank|
|Marie Hansel DNP, RN||PSC alumna|
|Kyle Kasperek||Kasperek Accounting|
|Joyce Morgan Michael||Precision Transportation Inc.|
|Joelle Mulhearn||Board of Trustees
Prairie State College
|Rebecca A. Nagle||Old Plank Trail Community Bank|
|Dave Naze, PhD||Joliet Junior College|
|Thomas Nicholas||Prairie State College
Federation of Teachers
Local 3816, AFT, AFL-CIO
|Patrick J. Ormsby|
|Donald F. Ransford||RANS & Associates|
|Craig Schmidt||Prairie State College|
|Allan Spooner||Franciscan Health|
|Marilyn Kent Tapajna||Suburban Service League|
|Tim Woloszyn||Fifth Third Bank|
|Marisela Zambrano||Illiana Financial Credit Union|
|Lois Anthonisen||William Kiehl|
|Calvin Bellamy||E. Timothy Lightfield, Ph.D.|
|Dorothy Bauer||Judith Marwick, Ed.D.|
|Pamela M. Caddick||Anne Oppenheimer|
|Robert Christopher||Charles M. Peters|
|Chuck Gruberman||Keith Reich, D.O.|
|Lucy Hoekema||James M. Troutman|
|Manny Hoffman*||Linda Uzureau, Ph.D.|
|Martha Kabbes Hesse|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT SCHOLARSHIPS
- What are the qualifications for a PSC Foundation scholarship?
All scholarships have donor specific requirements. The standard criteria for eligibility are:
- registered for the semester which you are applying,
- a current FAFSA on file with the Financial Aid Office,
- seeking a degree or certificate program at Prairie State College,
- a 2.0 GPA or higher, and
- demonstrates financial need.
- Where do I go to apply for PSC Foundation scholarships?
Visit www.prairiestate.academicworks.com to begin the online Application. You must use your PSC student email address to create an account. If you cannot complete the application in one sitting, be sure to save your work before exiting the system.
- How will I know if I receive a scholarship award?
Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. It is a multi-step process that can several weeks. The Scholarship Review Committee’s decision will be sent to your PSC student email address.
- How many scholarships can I apply for?
Complete the general application and the system will auto-match you to scholarships for which you qualify. Check under “recommended” scholarships once you have submitted the general application, for any additional scholarships which require additional questions answered.
- Can I apply for a scholarship each semester?
You can apply for PSC Foundation scholarships each semester you are registered.
- Can I use the scholarship as a down payment for tuition?
No. Scholarships are not full scholarships and should not be considered as down payment. See the PSC Business Office to establish a payment plan.
- Can I get a scholarship if I receive financial aid?
Scholarships are based on need. If financial aid does not fully cover the costs of tuition, fees, and books, you may be eligible for a scholarship.
- Can I receive a scholarship if I don’t receive financial aid?
Yes, if you meet the qualifications. The Foundation recognizes there is often a gap between a student’s Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and what a student can afford.
Spotlight Scholars were asked to complete the line “If it wasn’t for Prairie State College . . . .”