What is STEM?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Any student pursuing an Associate in Science (A.S.) degree at PSC is considered a STEM student.
STEM students have some of the most demanding academic careers, but also some of the
most rewarding professional careers. STEM@PSC is dedicated to student success by building a supportive learning community, beginning
with first-year students and guiding them throughout degree completion and the transfer
Get connected to your success team today!
PLTL Leader Application
Peer-Led Learning Workshop Leader Position Summary
Guidelines and Information:
Peer-Led Team Learning (PLTL) is a learning model used in Chemistry courses at Prairie State College. In this model, small groups of students will attend weekly workshops guided by a peer leader. As a workshop peer leader you will be helping current students to work together as they engage in problem solving sessions. The workshop leader helps to guide students toward effectively discussing and solving problems, learning study skills, and building self-confidence in the subject matter. Peer-leaders will work closely with faculty and are not expected to create assignments or study materials. The PLTL workshop leader will be paid a stipend for the semester.
Responsibilities of a PLTL Workshop Leader include:
- Conducting weekly two-hour workshop sessions as scheduled.
- Attending workshop leader orientation and training sessions throughout the semester.
- Attend weekly preparation meetings with course professor.
- Maintain attendance records for workshop sessions.
- Track individual student and personal progress throughout the workshop session with reflective journaling.
- Other assignments as assigned by the STEM Student Support Specialists, faculty, and administrators.
To be considered for this position, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be a currently enrolled student at Prairie State College.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Have completed the course for which they intend to be the peer leader with an A or B.
- Attend and successfully complete PLTL leader training.
- Be able to engage students in discussions and problem solving.
- Be able to assess student progress and provide them with feedback.
An application form is included with this information sheet. In addition to the completed form, applicants must submit:
- A copy of your transcripts, unofficial is acceptable.
- Answers to short essay questions, typed, on a separate page.
- Recommendation form completed by previous/current professor.
Peer Tutor Application
Stem Peer Tutor PositionPOSITION: Peer Tutor
REQUIREMENTS: -- Tutors must:
- Be currently enrolled at Prairie State College
- Have successfully passed Math and Science courses with an A or B
- Be available to tutor students at least 10 hours per week
- Provide tutoring to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance in Math and Science courses.
- Attend an orientation and monthly training sessions.
- Teach students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies
- Evaluate and document student sessions and progress throughout tutoring sessions
- Collaborate with students, Faculty, Administrators, and Advisors to determine student needs
- Maintain confidentiality of student information
- Other assignments given by the faculty, and administrators
- Complete and submit application ASAP
- Submit letter of recommendation from math and/or science instructor(s)
- Include resume (if available)
- Submit application to Dr. McGathey – either scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, bring to office number 2304, or leave in Dr. McGathey’s mailbox (1st floor across from financial aid)