G-41: Employee Travel/Related Business Expenses
Adoption Date: 03/16/92 | Review Date: 06/29/98 | Revision Date: 08/26/08 | Revision Date: 10/27/09 | Review Date: 12/04/18
Within the limitations of the budget, Prairie State College shall encourage employees to participate in business and professional meetings, conferences, and activities which will further or improve their performance of assigned College duties or otherwise advance the College in achieving its Mission.
The College shall reimburse certain employee business and travel expenses incurred for the benefit of, and in the course of, College employment.
Such reimbursement shall adhere to the following guidelines:
- All out-of-district meetings and travel expenses shall have prior administrative approval.
- The use of a personal car for College business travel shall be reimbursed at the lesser amount of (1) the mileage rate established by the State of Illinois Higher Education Travel Control Board or (2) the cost of a rental car plus fuel, as determined by current College procedures.
- Other business expenses shall be reimbursed if reasonable, necessary, and properly documented.
- Air travel shall be planned sufficiently in advance to allow use of the most economical rate.
- Travel advances for out-of-district meetings shall be limited to eighty per cent (80%) of anticipated out-of-pocket costs.
- Copies of receipts shall be required for lodging, commercial travel, and any other business-related expense transaction; any exception shall be subject to the approval of one's immediate supervisor.
- All out-of-state travel, other than to the adjacent Indiana counties, shall be approved by the College President upon recommendation of the appropriate executive officer.
- All out-of-country travel, other than to Canada, and other business expenses shall be approved by the Board of Trustees upon recommendation of the President. Approval to Canada will be treated the same as out-of-state travel.