General Information
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Index of Questions:

What programs are offered?

PSC offers Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate of Arts in Teaching, Associate in Applied Science and Associate in General Studies degrees. We offer certificates in areas such as Automotive; Business; Computer Aided Design (CAD); Computer Electronics; Criminal Justice; Early Childhood; Education-Paraprofessional; Fire Science; Fitness; Graphic Communications; Allied Health and Emergency Services; Industrial Technology; Information Technology; and Photography. Consult the College Catalog and talk with an enrollment advisor for more information regarding specific programs.

What does tuition cost at PSC? Are there any additional fees?

Please visit Tuition and Fees for the most current information.

What financial aid and scholarship opportunities do you offer?

There are numerous assistance programs for both full- and part-time students. Federal grants and loans, work-study, state assistance and veterans' benefits are some of the government money available to college students. There are also scholarship opportunities through the PSC Foundation, the Trustees Scholarship program and, other local sources. Consult the Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Office at (708) 709-3523 for more information.

What towns are in your district?

Prairie State College serves the communities of Beecher, Chicago Heights, Crete, Flossmoor, Ford Heights, Glenwood, Homewood, Matteson, Monee, Olympia Fields, Park Forest, Richton Park, Sauk Village, South Chicago Heights, Steger and University Park, plus portions of Country Club Hills, Hazel Crest, Lynwood, Tinley Park, and adjacent unincorporated areas of Cook and Will counties. View additional residency requirements.

How long will it take to complete my degree?

If you're a full-time student, an associate's degree can be earned in two years. Otherwise, this depends on your personal schedule and the number of classes you take. There isn't any one "right" way to earn your degree. Many students find it's best to take classes at a pace they find comfortable. Visit an enrollment advisor for details.

Will my classes at PSC transfer to other schools?

 Please use the Transferring Credits webpage to confirm that your PSC courses transfer to meet your major’s requirements at the university of your choice.  You can view the iTransfer website for more information about a group agreement to make transferring to Illinois universities a simpler process. A PSC enrollment advisor and university admissions officers also can help you with understanding course transferability.

How do I know what room or building my class is in?

Check your schedule after you've registered. It will tell you what room number your class is in, or if you'll be meeting at an off-campus location.

What are the sizes of my classes?

The student to faculty ratio at PSC is 17:1.

Do you have a bookstore on campus?

Everything you need—whether it's textbooks, pens or notepads—is available for sale at the PSC Bookstore. They also sell a wide variety of magazines, college novelties (t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.) and snacks. Your instructor will let you know what books are required for class during the first class session, or you can ask at the Bookstore.

Does PSC offer student activities?

There are plenty of clubs and activities to expand your PSC experience. From personal interest groups to community service projects to student dances, the Student Leadership Center is the hub for all these activities. The Student Leadership Center is located in Room 1262 on the first floor of the College's main building. For more information, stop by the center or email the Coordinator of Student Life.

Can I play sports at PSC?

PSC has more than 10 athletic teams lead by experienced coaches. Men's sports include baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, golf, and soccer, and tennis, while women's sports include basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, and volleyball. For more information, fill out a Prospective Athlete form. In addition, through the Department of Physical Education and Athletics, the College organizes recreational activities through its popular intramural sports program.

Where do I park?

There are several convenient on-campus parking lots. However, you must obtain a parking sticker from the Office of Enrollment Services ID Center in order to park in Lots A and C. Apply at Room 1101, ID Center.

Do I need a student ID, and does it cost anything?

The Office of Enrollment Services ID Center issues identification cards to all students and faculty and staff. Apply at Room 1101, ID Center. There is no charge for the first card and replacement cards are available for $5. The identification card must be carried at all times and is to be surrendered on demand to any college official.

Do you offer Internet access to students?

Internet access is available through the computers in the Library, located on the first floor of the main building, and the Student Success Center, located on the second floor of the main building.

Is there child care available?

The Children’s Learning Center (CLC) at Prairie State College has been closed, effective December 16, 2015. The CLC was closed as a result of its unsustainable cost to the college. If you have any questions feel free to contact (708) 709-3501.

Are there computer labs where I can complete my homework for class?

The Student Success Center, located on the second floor of the main building, has an open computer lab available for use.

What is the Student Success Center?

The Student Success Center is a well-equipped facility located on the second floor of the main campus that provides individualized and small group tutoring as well as computers and study skills assistance. For more information, call (708) 709-3663.

Do you have a staff directory?

Yes. View our staff directory.

Can I take a class over if I get a bad grade?

Yes. In such cases all completed courses and earned grades will appear on your transcript. However, only the later grade will be used to calculate your grade point average. If you retake a class more than once, you'll be charged a Course Repeat Fee. This policy does not apply to classes designed for multiple enrollments, such as PE 101.

What if I don't like a class or have a time conflict? Can I withdraw from the course or will I be penalized?

Prior to the 12th week of the semester, you may fill out a withdrawal form at the Enrollment Services Office. Your final grade will be "W" and will not be calculated into your GPA. However, depending upon when you withdraw, you may be responsible for some or all of your tuition payment. note: Late Start classes have a different withdrawal deadline. Please consult the current class schedule for more information.

How do I get my transcripts?

The Enrollment Services Office will issue transcripts to students and former students upon request, provided there is no record encumbrance (such as unpaid tuition, fees, fines, or financial aid repayment). You can request a transcript through here.

How do I get accepted at PSC?

Complete a PSC application form and return it to the Enrollment Services Office. Also, forward all high school and college transcripts to the Enrollment Services Office and arrange to take the PSC placement test. Some programs, such as Dental Hygiene and Nursing have other entrance requirements. It's best to consult with Counseling and Academic Advising to learn exactly what tests or entrance exams you'll need to take.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT tests?

No, though you will need to take the placement placement test.

What does the placement test cover? What does it do for me?

The test, which takes about three hours to complete, helps determine your strengths and weaknesses in English, mathematics and reading. Afterward, you'll meet with a PSC advisor to explore the meaning of your assessment results and select the best courses to meet your needs.

I never finished high school. Can I still attend PSC?

Although you may take college-level classes before completing high school, you must pass the General Education Development (GED) exam before graduating from any PSC degree program. You also are not eligible for any financial aid until you have passed the GED or graduated from high school. PSC offers free review classes for GED testing. Many graduates of the program continue their education at the College. For more information, call (708) 709-3721 or (708) 709-3722.

Do all students taking credit courses receive a PSC email account?

Yes, all PSC students receive a college email account when they enroll for credit classes.