Prairie State College Announces Presidential Search Process
Dear Prairie State College Community Members,
As Chairman of the Prairie State College (PSC) Board of Trustees, I write to you today to announce that we have initiated the search process for the next president of PSC.
In March 2020, Dr. Thomas Saban was appointed interim president of PSC and has guided the college through the COVID-19 pandemic with his dedicated leadership following the resignation of Dr. Terri Winfree. The college now seeks to appoint a permanent president to this position.
In conducting this search, while expedient, we intend to implement a process that is rigorous, inclusive, participatory, and transparent. On this you have my commitment. As such, we will establish a presidential search website that will include messages to the college community regarding the search, a search timeline, the presidential profile, a listing of the Presidential Search Committee members, a listing of resources for potential candidates, and other pertinent details. The website will be updated often as information is finalized. At that time, please visit the site frequently to familiarize yourself with and fully engage in this process as a PSC community member.
In recent weeks, I have worked closely with my fellow Trustees, and senior administrators who will help facilitate the search. We also have determined the composition of the Presidential Search Committee, which will include representation from throughout the college community, and we are beginning to identify these members.
I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the search process thus far. I am confident that when our search is complete, we will have implemented an inclusive and transparent process that results in the selection of an outstanding leader to guide PSC forward.
Bishop Ronnie White, DMin PhD BCC BCMHC QMHP
Chairman of the Prairie State College Board of Trustees
Presidential Search Process
- Board of Trustees review proposed Search Process
- Search Committee approved by the Board of Trustees
- Search website available on PSC homepage and ads placed to advertise search
- Application Period Open
- Review of Applications
- Invite candidates to campus for full day of interviews; Board interviews candidates – evening meeting/dinner
- Background checks on selected candidate(s)
- Negotiate contract with candidate (pending background check)
- Approval of new President’s contract
- New President begins
Prairie State College, a comprehensive community college located 30 miles south of Chicago in Chicago Heights, is conducting a nationwide search for a president. The President is the chief executive officer and reports to an elected seven-member Board of Trustees.
Prairie State College serves over 10,000 students enrolled in credit and non-credit courses and offers associate degrees, technical and career certificates, and adult, corporate, and continuing education. Prairie State College is a richly diverse community college dedicated to student-centered instruction fostering adult, transfer, and workforce education success.
The Prairie State College Board of Trustees seeks a strong, experienced leader who will build upon the College’s tradition of excellence while providing visionary leadership to address contemporary challenges. The President should be committed to understanding, respecting, valuing, and supporting the richly diverse student body, staff, and community. A demonstrated commitment to the centrality of student learning and the mission and role of a community college is crucial. The President will be expected to work collaboratively with the Board of Trustees and all constituent groups and promote the College through community involvement.
Discretion and stewardship are expected from the President in managing fiscal resources, both in developing the college budget and in the monitoring of funds.
A starting date of early October 2021 is anticipated.
Prairie State College is seeking an individual who has demonstrated:
- Strong leadership experience and record of accomplishment, preferably in a community college that inspires trust and confidence on campus and in the community
- Political astuteness with excellent interpersonal communication skills, along with the ability to create a consensus to accomplish the campus and Board goals
- Proven success in working directly with a Board of Trustees
- Competence in planning, marketing, budgeting, assessment, financial management, fundraising, and resource development in an environment with decreasing state financial support
- Ability to assist the Board in crafting a new, sustainable financial model for the College
- A track record of successful relations with employee unions
- Personal commitment to honesty, transparency, consensus building, teamwork, and commitment to quality instruction and academic excellence
- Ability to work productively with others to build morale and motivate and empower faculty, staff, students, and administrators to think and act creatively to address opportunities and challenges
- An educational vision and a firm commitment to the mission and values of a community college
- Substantial and successful management experience at the executive level with significant decision-making responsibility
- Someone who has shown the ability to inspire the College to monitor and improve student learning and success
- Commitment to and experience with fostering partnerships with community leaders in business, industry, schools, and colleges
- Leadership in the development, maintenance, and strengthening of existing and new programs in partnership with business, industry, and members of the public sector
- Academic credentials appropriate for leading a college—an earned doctorate required
- Pat Trost, Chief of Staff, Prairie State College
- Dr. Charmaine Sevier, Executive Director of Human Resources, Prairie State College
- Elighie Wilson, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Prairie State College
- Thomas Nicholas, Faculty Union President, Prairie State College
- Cheron Ricks - Support Staff Union President, Prairie State College
- Cydney Williams – Adjunct Faculty Union President, Prairie State College
- Robert Wald – Police Officers Union President, Prairie State College
- Dr. Tiffany Brewer – Dean of Equity and Inclusion, Prairie State College
- Mary Fitzpatrick – Manager of Career Services, Prairie State College
- Emmanuel Lopez – Recruiting Specialist, Governors State University
- David Lockman – Consultant, Olympia Fields
- Julia Veazey – Assistant Superintendent, Prairie Hills School District 144
- Dr. Johnnie Thomas – Superintendent, Rich School District 227
- Joanna Panici Esq. – Attorney, Chicago Heights
- Dr. Cornel Darden – President, Southland Black Chamber of Commerce
Candidate Resources / Application
Requested application materials should include a resume, a letter of interest, and a list of three references, and unofficial transcripts . The letter of interest is not to exceed five pages and should describe how your education and experience meet the required qualifications and position profile.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Salary and benefits will be competitive for the area. The Terms of the contract are negotiable. A starting date of early October 2021 is anticipated.
Prairie State College does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, gender, disability, ancestry, marital status, military discharge status, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors in educational programs, activities, or employment practices.