Student Services
Military Student Affairs Office
Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)

Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31)


How to apply       

The PSC veterans’ affairs advisor can provide the information to apply for Chapter 31 benefits. To apply: https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/apply-vre-form-28-1900/start

What determines  eligibility

Formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, you’re eligible to apply for VR&E benefits and services if you meet both of these requirements:

All of these must be true:

  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • You have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA

How are recipients  selected

When they receive your VR&E application, they will schedule your initial evaluation with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). The VRC will determine if you’re entitled to receive VR&E benefits and services.

If you were discharged from active duty before January 1, 2013, your basic period of eligibility ends 12 years from one of these dates, whichever comes later:

  • The date you received notice of your date of separation from active duty, or
  • The date you received your first VA service-connected disability rating

If you were discharged from active duty on or after January 1, 2013, the 12-year basic period of eligibility doesn’t apply to you. There’s no time limit on your eligibility.

How is the amount of  the award determined?

Congress determines the monthly amount of the award. The  veteran must work with a Veterans Affairs Vocational Education Specialist to  determine how many months of benefits and what programs the veteran can take.  There is additional money each month if the student is married or has children  living in their home. The student can receive benefits for half-time to  full-time enrollment.

How and when are the  funds paid out?

Once the student begins receiving their monthly check, they will be paid each month for the previous month's attendance.

Additional  information

Students receiving Chapter 31 benefits will also have all of  their tuition, fees, books, and approved supplies paid by the US Department of  Veterans Affairs.