Student Video Competition
Summary (per grant agreement)
To engage students, the task force will hold a competition during the fall 2017 semester asking students to create 30- to 60-second commercials to promote the Prairie State College (PSC) smoke/tobacco free policy. Students will be encouraged to cover one or more of the following topics: the smoke/tobacco free policy at PSC, the effects of smoking and the benefits of quitting, cessation information, peer support for quitting, and/or other relative information pertaining to the PSC campaign and the winners will receive book store certificates.
- Entries should reflect this theme: Tobacco Free at PSC! It’s A Healthy Place To Be.
- This competition is open to students currently enrolled at PSC. Students may be either full or part time.
- The entry must be the original work of the student(s), hereafter referred to as "entrant(s)."
- The commercial must be between 30 and 60 seconds in length. End credits, if applicable, do not count towards the 60 second time limit for your commercial and may run longer than the allotted 60 seconds.
- Entrants must credit all sources used to create the video commercial in the end credits of the commercial, or in a separately submitted works-cited list.
- Individuals or teams of students may create and submit entries.
- Only one entry per person, whether individual or group participation.
- For those participating in a group, the student whose name appears as the primary contact on the Entry Form will be considered the team leader, and will be the primary point of contact for the team.
- Videos containing vulgar or inappropriate languages and/or messages will be disqualified.
- School staff and faculty may provide guidance and critiques but may not participate in conceiving and/or producing the video.
- Entries must be submitted online. Students must complete the online Entry Form at http://prairiestate.edu/sustainability and include an unlisted YouTube link for viewing. Original files may be requested from finalists.
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. cst on Sunday, November 5, 2017..
- Entrants, without any compensation from PSC, grant permission to PSC to use their names, likenesses and entries for promotional purposes related to PSC and its activities. By submitting an entry, entrants (i) represent that their entries constitute original works of creativity that do not violate the property rights of any other person, and (ii) grant PSC the right to exhibit, distribute, televise and otherwise use the entries in various media.
- Entrants will be scored by a committee comprised of PSC faculty and staff using the Video Competition Rubric . The judges' decisions will be final. If a team's entry wins, PSC will divide the prize money equally among the team members. PSC reserves the right not to award all prizes.
- Prize recipients will be announced on the Great American Smoke Out Day, November 16, 2017, via PSC’s Social Media accounts and on prairiestate.edu.
Rubric for Assessment
|Title||Catchy title relating to topic.||Appropriate title relating to topic.||Title does not relate to topic.||No title.||( /4) x 5||___/5|
|Information||Includes 4 or more points relating to the topic.||Includes 3 points relating to the topic.||Includes 1-2 points relating to the topic.||No relevant information included.||( /4) x 35||___/35|
|Images/Graphics||Includes 7 or more different images related to topic.||Includes 3-6 different images related to topic.||Includes 1-2 different images related to topic.||No images related to the topic.||( /4) x 15||___/15|
|Creativity||Commercial is original, creative and distinctive.||Includes some original thought and is moderately creative.||Commercial has little original thought.||Commercial has no original thought.||( /4) x 20||___/20|
|Design/ Music||Video is 45-60 seconds.||Video is 30-45 seconds.||Video is 30 seconds long.||Video is under 30 / over 60 seconds.||( /4) x 10||___/10|
|Style/Music||Style and music choices enhance topic and are appropriate for a college project.||Style and music choices somewhat enhance topic and are appropriate for a college project.||Style and music choices do not relate to topic, but are appropriate for a college project||Style and music is inappropriate.||( /4) x 10||___/10|
|Citations||Includes a list of 4+ works cited correctly at the end of the video (or submitted separately).||Includes a list of 2-3 works cited correctly at the end of the video (or submitted separately).||Includes one work cited correctly at the end of the video (or submitted separately).||Works are incorrectly cited.||( /4) x 5||___/5|
To create your video, you may use your personal video camera or cell phone. For a more professional video, we do have equipment available to rent. You may checkout equipment in the Photo Lab, room 4110 during the following hours:
Monday and Wednesday: 12:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Tuesday and Thursday: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Times are subject to change. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the photo lab in room 4110.
While there is no charge for equipment rental a cash deposit is required. Please contact Allessandra Kummelehne at email@example.com with any questions or concerns regarding this policy. Photo lab staff will not be able to assist you.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Waste diversion at PSC. What can you recycle?
- Tips for Waste Reduction
- PSC Asset Disposal Procedures
- Recycling in the South Suburbs