Student Services
Veterans Services
  • Veterans Services
  • Veterans Services
  • Veterans Purple Heart Parking Space

General Information

Veterans receive one-on-one advising throughout the admissions process and continued support throughout their academic career at PSC. Veterans are eligible for early registration. Services extend to all service members regardless of when they served or whether it was in the active, reserve, or National Guard component.

The Student Veterans Center provides academic and social support to veterans with an emphasis on graduation and successful integration into the college. At the center, PSC student veterans can study and socialize with fellow veterans and find information about the services available to them at PSC and in the community.

It is located in room 1240 of the main building. The center is accessible and offers many amenities for veterans including free printing. For more information, call (708) 709-3567 or email vetcenter@prairiestate.edu

PSC Student Veterans Club goal is to  provide a smooth transition for our returning military personnel from their current duty. Also, to help out our veterans with key elements they need in setting them up for success. Finally, to incorporate unity, respect, and togetherness between Prairie State College, its students and those who have volunteered their service. Click here to learn more. 

Veterans Benefit Programs The federal and state governments have several programs available to assist veterans, spouses, and their dependents in paying for college and reaching their educational and vocational goals. Programs include:

  • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG)
    Illinois National Guard Grant (ING)
  • Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship (for spouses and dependents)
  • Montgomery GI BILL Educational Benefits (Chapter 30, Post 9/11, Chapter 1606 and 1607)
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35, Fry Scholarship, and ToE)

Veterans who are not sure what benefits they qualify for should contact the Student Veterans Center coordinator, or consult the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website at gibill.va.gov/. Educational Counselors also are available at the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551 or call an ISAC Call Center Representative at (800) 899-ISAC(4722)

Contact Us
Georges Sanon, Coordinator, Student Veterans Center
(708) 709-3567


Higher Education Veterans Service Act Survey (Public Act 96-0133)

Supporting Our Veterans

Financial Aid Benefits and Intake Forms

How to Apply for Federal Benefits

Veterans benefits checklist (PDF)

Complete and return the appropriate application to the Financial Aid Office.

Attach a copy of your DD-214 to the application.

Register and pay for your classes. The VA will reimburse you based on your eligibility. Chapter 33 veterans can submit their letter of eligibility to the Student Veterans Center in lieu of a payment.

Provide the Student Veterans Center with a completed Intake Form each semester.


Intake Forms (Service member, Veterans-and Family Members)

Financial Aid Benefits Available

Illinois Veterans Grant
Apply now
More information
Illinois National Guard Grant
Apply now
More information
Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship
Apply now
More information
Montgomery GI Bill Educational Benefits
Apply now
More information
Federal Vocational Educational Benefits for Disabled Veterans
Apply now
More information
Federal Education Benefits for Dependents of Veterans
Apply now
More information
PSC extends in-district tuition rates to all eligible veterans in appreciation of your service to this country. Proof of service is required at time of application. Please submit a copy of your DD-214, Member-4 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to the Student Veterans Center Coordinator for consideration.

General Eligibility Requirements

Served at least one year active duty in the armed forces
Discharge rating of "honorable," "under honorable conditions," "general" or "service-connected medical."
Entered service from Illinois and returned to Illinois after being discharged. (IVG, ING, MIA only)

Veterans may still be available for state assistance even if their Montgomery G.I. Bill has expired. Veterans who wish to enroll should contact the Veterans Services before registering so that applications for veterans' benefits can be processed in a timely manner. Records of military service, other college academic transcripts, service schools attended, and GED® scores, if pertinent, should be submitted so they may be evaluated. Call (708) 709-3567 or visit the Veterans Center, room 1240, for information on veterans services.

Assistance to Spouses and Dependents of Veterans

Veterans Services provides education and training opportunities to eligible spouses and dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.

Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship (Veteran must have entered service from Illinois and returned to Illinois after being discharged)
Federal Education Benefits for Dependents of Veterans (Chapter 35)
The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship)
Transfer Post 9/11 to Spouse and Dependents (ToE)

Guidelines for Activated Military members


Veterans Crisis Line Logo

Veterans Crisis Line
Confidential chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net
or text to 838255


Illinois Joining Forces
Illinois Joining Forces

VietNam War Commemoration
Prairie State College is a proud Commemorative Partner of the Vietnam War Commemoration, to learn more about the Commemoration, please visit www.vietnamwar50th.com.