- ACT Compass Prep Workshops
- Online Resources
- SSC FAQs
- SSC Tutoring Schedules
- Student Success Center Online Resources
- Writing Center
What Tutoring Does the SSC Offer?
We offer tutoring in many different areas - math, English, writing, reading, chemistry, physics, biology, and Spanish are only a few areas in which we have tutors. Just ask us.
Do students need a referral from a professor?
No! It's entirely your choice to come see a tutor - if you feel like you need extra help or are having trouble understanding a concept or need help writing a paper, come to the SSC and request a tutoring appointment.
Is there a fee for tutoring?
No! If you are a Prairie State credit student, tutoring is free. You can get up to an hour of tutoring every week in each subject you are taking free of charge.
How do I get a tutor? What do I need to do to sign up?
Come to room 2643 or email Lisa Hansen at email@example.com. We will have you fill out a form and get you signed up for an appointment.
What happens at a tutoring session?
Essentially, you need to have questions in mind when you come to a session. Where are you having problems? What do you not understand? The tutor will help you with these concepts.
How long does it take to get a tutor after I submit my request?
We will try as hard as we can to get you in as soon as possible to see a tutor. Remember, tutoring is by appointment - so get in early to sign up.
Where do I meet my tutor?
In the SSC - if you are unsure of who your tutor is, ask. We will be glad to introduce you to your new tutor.
What happens if I miss my appointment?
Please try to make your appointment if you schedule one - or call to cancel (708) 709-3663. The time you have signed up for has been set aside for you - so calling early to let us know you cannot make it will allow us to free up that spot for another student.
Who is eligible for tutoring?
If you are currently taking credit or developmental courses at Prairie State College you are eligible for free tutoring.
How long are the sessions?
We schedule appointments for half-hour blocks.
Does tutoring really help?
YES! A survey of students using the tutoring services was taken and we received high marks.
- 100 percent of the students who used tutoring felt their grade improved in the subject that they received tutoring.
- Over 60 percent would have withdrawn from the course without tutoring help.
- 100 percent would recommend the SSC to their friends.
- Of those returning in the spring semester, 100 percent said they would return to use the SSC's services.
In addition, Fall 2013, data analysis showed:
- 72 percent of the students who sought tutoring successfully completed course work with a grade of C or better.
- 81 percent of the students either registered for another semester of classes at PSC or graduated.
For further information:
Alysse (Lisa) Hansen, Manager, Student Success Center and Testing
(708) 709-3507, Office 2635
Hattie Gipson, Receptionist
(708) 709-3663, Office 2643